Some Soup and Some Socks (Zhuzz One, Knit Two)
Winter is here for most of us. One of the most warming and comforting things for me to have in the winter is a nice, hot bowl of soup.
There are many ways to make soup. One way NOT to make it is…
Canned soup is very rare in Israel, so there’s not much of a chance of this happening in the Miriyummy household. In any case, we’re trying to eat as little processed food as possible. If you don’t mind a little peeling and a quick zhuzz, try this winter warmer:
Carrot Soup with Ginger and Lemon
I have made this both in the dairy and the parve version. For the dairy version use butter and garnish with sour cream. For the parve version use olive oil and garnish with either just grated carrot alone or add some coriander leaves. Whatever you do, please, please, please do NOT use non-dairy sour cream, that’s not going to win you any points with this recipe. If you don’t use the sour cream or the butter the soup is not only vegetarian, it’s vegan as well.
- 2 tablespoons (1 chlop) butter (or olive oil)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped, peeled fresh ginger (I use a Microplane for this, you don’t even need to peel the ginger)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/4 lbs medium carrots , peeled and chopped (about 3 cups) (I don’t even peel them anymore, just scrub them really well under the faucet)
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 1 lemon, grate the rind (use the Microplane) and squeeze the juice (reserve the juice)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- 1 small carrot, peeled (or scrubbed) and grated
Add the onion and sauté 4 minutes until transparent.
Add the ginger and garlic, sauté another 2 minutes. Stir often, don’t let the garlic burn.
Add the chopped carrots, tomatoes and lemon rind. Saute one minute more.
Add the 3 cups of stock and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.
Stick your zhuzzer in there and puree the soup. If you don’t have a zhuzzer, puree soup in batches in blender (and then return the soup to the pot).
Mix in the lemon juice.
Season with salt and pepper.
Bring the soup to a simmer, thinning with more stock, if desired.
Ladle into bowls.
Top each with sour cream and grated carrot (or coriander).