I Miss My Mom!
It’s Mother’s Day today, and I miss my mom. Just thought you should know…
I don’t really have anything prepared, just a reprise of some posts of which I am very proud:
I Am Not Everybody — my Mother’s Day post from last year. My mother taught me that it’s not always the best thing to run with the pack.
Shmaltz — The Sequel — in I Am Not Everybody I spoke about my mom’s shmaltz. Here is where you’ll find the recipe, and some olfactory memories.
Rapunzel — mourning my mom even if it drives me crazy.
Irresistible Forces — on the occasion of my mother’s first yahrzeit.
Never Eat Chocolate Like Bread — my recent post for Yom Hasho’ah, a lesson my mother taught me that I will never forget.
After moving to Israel I had to depend on sending my mother a gift for Mother’s Day via the Internet. Every year I would send her a selection of nuts. An odd choice, I know, but my mom loved to nosh on pumpkin seeds, almonds, sunflower seeds… I think she must have been a parakeet in a previous life.
Spiced Nuts — Miriyummy’s Version
Picture courtesy of Sackville from Recipezaar.com
I never had the honor of making this for my mom, but I think she would have loved them. The original recipe comes from one of my favorite Recipezaar chefs, Evelyn/Athens. We’ve chatted off-site and have even spoken on the phone. She’s a wonderful cook, and this is a great recipe, Mom-worthy, in my opinion.
- 2 tablespoons margarine or canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups unsalted assorted nuts (I adore cashews, pecans and even some deadly almonds)
- 1 teaspoon hot Moroccan paprika
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- salt, to taste
- Preheat to 170 degrees C (330 degrees F).
- In a small saucepan, melt the margarine or heat the oil together with the garlic over moderately-low heat and remove from heat. Do not let it brown or burn.
- In a large baking pan spread the nuts and drizzle the garlicky margarine/oil over them, toss well to coat and bake, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until golden and fragrant.
- Combine the paprika, curry powder and sugar and micx into the nuts.
- Continue baking 3 minutes longer.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.Sprinkle with the salt.
- Let cool and transfer to airtight container.
Posted on 8 May 2011, in Family Life, Mom, Nuts, Savory Nosh, Vegan, Vegetarian and tagged cooking, kosher, mom, Mother's Day, nuts, recipe, Recipezaar, shmaltz, vegan, vegetarian. Bookmark the permalink. 10 Comments.